One of Brunel’s strengths is that it has always placed great emphasis on the practical and personal skills that are essential to graduates who want to find a good job. As a Computer Science/Business Computing student, you will have an opportunity to apply to spend your third year working in industry, returning to complete your degree in year four.
Why do a placement?
There are many practical and personal benefits that a placement provides:
- It brings a new perspective and provides context to your studies.
- Students who complete placements perform better academically, and graduate with higher degree classifications. For example, in recent years, 90% of placement students have achieved 2:1 degree or better (with 46% of these achieving a 1st class degree).
- There are financial benefits. After graduation, placement students tend to secure higher salaries. Computer Science/Business Computing placements are typically paid positions, with average salaries of £17,000 or higher.
- A significant number of students are offered positions with their placement employer after they graduate.You will develop key skills and competencies sought by graduate recruiters and be able to build a network of useful contacts.
- You will gain experience and expertise in a role, industry or sector you’re interested in, allowing you to refine your career aspirations.
Get a taste of your chosen career
Placements can give you the opportunity to get a taste of what may be your chosen career. Trying out a role during a placement can help you decide if it's really for you before committing to it as a long-term career. A wide range of roles are available. In the past, students have worked in global companies such as:
- Accenture Technology
- AXA Investment Managers
- Eli Lilly
- Intel Corporation
- and many more, including startups and SMEs around the UK.
Brunel’s Placement and Careers Centre provides a range of workshops and 1-1 sessions throughout the year to help you sharpen your skills and improve your employability profile.
To find out more about professional placements within the Department of Computer Science contact:
Dr Brijesh Dongol
Work Placement Director
Tel +44 (0)1895 268046